"COCERAL is the acronym for "Comité du Commerce des céréales, aliments du bétail, oléagineux, huile d'olive, huiles et graisses et agrofournitures" and is considered as the voice representing the European cereals, rice, feedstuffs, oilseeds, olive oil, oils and fats and agrosupply trade.
The members of COCERAL are the national trade organisations of most of the EU-27 Member States, who for their part represent collectors, distributors, exporters, importers and agribulk storers of the above mentioned commodities. The members are composed of essentially private traders and in some countries also farmers' cooperatives. Furthermore, COCERAL has associate members in Switzerland."
- To represent and promote the interests of the grain, feedstuffs, rice, olive oil and agro-supply trade associations operating within Europe.
- To proactively monitor and guide EU policy makers in market, food safety and environmental matters.
- To promote strategies for provision of safe food ingredients and feed raw materials for the benefit of EU processors and consumers.
- To publish reports and position papers for stakeholders.
Objectives are achieved by:
- Continuous interface with relevant EU Commission Directorates on matters affecting members.
- Review and negotiation of legislation affecting food and feed sectors by committees of experts.
- Delivery of safe food and feed ingredients via a risk based Code of Good Trading Practice (Coceral GTP).
- Creating alliances and common positions with organisations who have similar interests in the food and feed sectors.
- Regular communication of trade issues and policy.